John Riley Pottery
News & Events
If you would like to be placed on the mailing list for a notification of upcoming shows, drop me an email or fill out the contact form. I will only send emails when I have a pottery show or exhibit coming up.
No upcoming events. It is time to reset and plan for 2020!
- December 2019 -- I had my first home studio holiday pottery sale this year. I set up my pottery in the yard on a Sunday afternoon. Fortunately, it was a beautiful day with no precipitation. The sale exceeded my expectations. Many friends and neighbors stopped by for hot cider and holiday shopping. I look forward to making it an annual event.
- September 2019 -- I sold pots at Celebrate Petworth for the first time. It was a great community street fair with artisans and community-based organizations.
- October 2018 -- I participated in a soda firing workshop through the ClayCoop in Rockville, MD, with Chris Landers and Denise Joyal. I have been throwing classic forms, as well as a few new teapots, that I will fire in the soda kiln.
- December 2018 -- I participated in the the sixth annual Christkindlmarkt at the Heurich House Museum. The market is located in Dupont Circle at 1307 New Hampshire Avenue NW . Washington, DC 20036.
- September 2018 -- "Proximity," Juried Exhibition -- The Clay Co-Op. Rockville, MD. Two of my pieces were selected to be a part of the exhibition.
- December 2017 -- I was thrilled to be a part of the Christkindlmarkt at Heurich House Museum in Dupont Circle once again. Washington, DC.
- December 2017 -- I sold pots at the Makers Market at Winterfest at Wunder Garten, located at 1101 First Street, NE in the NoMa neighborhood. Washington, DC.
- October 2017 -- "Shino Splendor Invitational," Juried Exhibition, District Clay Center, Washington, DC -- This exhibition celebrated one of the most exciting and historic ceramic glazes in all its amazing variation and beauty. One of my stoneware canisters with shino glaze was accepted to be part of the exhibition.
- September 2017 -- Barracks Row Fall Festival near Eastern Market in Washington, DC.
- June 2017 -- Local Pottery Pop Up at Hollow Work Ceramics, Washington, DC. I participated in a local pottery pop up hosted by Kate Hardy at Hollow Work Ceramics. Over 20 local potters representing a variety of aesthetics were invited to sell their work. Many thanks to Kate Hardy for organizing the event and for extending the invitation.
- October 2016 -- City of Fairfax Fall Festival, Historic Old Town Fairfax, VA.
- June 2016 -- 11th Annual Western Loudoun Artists Studio Tour, Loudoun County, VA. I am a member of a wood fired kiln crew at Butterfly Bend Pottery in Lovettsville, Virginia which is a stop on the annual artists studio tour. I conducted tours of the Butterfly Bend Pottery wood kiln--which is owned and operated by Debbie and Scott Williamsom--and discussed the wood firing process at the pottery.
- May/June 2016 -- "It's in the Atmosphere," Juried Exhibition (Invited), Whitaker Gallery, Hood College, Frederick, MD. One of my wood fired vases was on display at the Whitaker Gallery at Hood College as part of an exhibit on the aesthetics and processes related to atmospheric elements in wood firing.
- June 2016 -- JohnRileyPottery Pop Up Shop and Artist Talk at Heurich House Museum. In conjunction with First Friday Dupont in Washington, DC, Heurich House Museum hosted me for a pop up in their Conservatory. I discussed the process of making wood fired pottery and my wood and gas fired pottery was available for sale. The first floor of the beautiful historic mansion was open for self-guided tours.
- December 2015 -- The Daily Do Good Holiday Bazaar Pop Up Shop at the WeWork Wonderbread Factory, Washington, DC. I donated a portion of the proceeds from the sale of my pots to Project Create, an organization that provides free, on-site, after-school arts education to children living in emergency, transitional, and long-term affordable family housing. The organization recently opened an art studio in the Anacostia neighborhood of SE DC where they offer weekly art courses and specialized workshops for children and teens.
- June 2015 -- Annual Western Loudoun Artists Studio Tour, Loudoun County, VA. I am a member of a wood-fired kiln crew at Butterfly Bend Pottery in Lovettsville, Virginia, which is a stop on the artists trail. Kiln crew members chipped in to staff the gallery and conducted talks with visitors related to the wood fired kiln and the wood firing process at the pottery.
- May 2014 -- Annual Hinckley Pottery Student & Teacher Show & Sale, Hinckley Pottery, Washington, DC.
- September 2013 -- 17th Street Arts Festival, Washington, DC.
- July 2013 -- Long Bridge Park Festival, Arlington, VA.
- June 6 - July 1, 2013 -- "Tabletop," Juried Exhibition, Art League of Alexandria, Alexandria, VA.
- April 2013 -- Annual Hinckley Pottery Student & Teacher Show & Sale, Hinckley Pottery, Washington, DC.
- February 2013 -- The Etsy Blog, "Get the Look." As part of their "Get the Look" series, my red nesting berry bowls were featured on the Etsy Blog.
- September 2012 -- Arts on Belmont, Washington, DC.
- September 2012 -- 17th Street Arts Festival, Washington, DC.
- May 2012 -- Annual Hinckley Pottery Student & Teacher Show & Sale, Hinckley Pottery, Washington, DC.
- March 3 - April 14, 2012 -- "Daily Companions," Juried Exhibition, Baltimore Clayworks, Baltimore, MD.
- August 2009 -- "Scapes," Juried Exhibition, Art League of Alexandria, Alexandria, VA (painting).
- June 2009 -- "All Media Membership," Juried Exhibition, Art League of Alexandria, Alexandria, VA (painting).